Wednesday, April 8, 2020

In This Weird World, Let's Focus on Relationships and Engagement

We are living in a weird world right now.  It is a world characterized by staying home and covering our faces when we have to go out for essential purposes.  It is also a world that is transitioning to online learning experiences.  My county is calling it the Continuity of Learning model.  We are utilizing Google Meet in order to connect with our students.  We are posting modules containing assignments and discussions on Canvas.  There is so much that I don't understand about this world.

So what am I doing with all of that?

I am supporting my teachers and loving on my students.  


I have been the Teacher Development Liaison since the beginning of this year.  I absolutely LOVE this position because I get to support teachers.  This position specifically works with new/non-tenured teachers, but I have a personal love of technology, so the Covid-19 closure is allowing me to work with ALL teachers!  I have had one-on-one Google Meet sessions with teachers and walked them through their technology woes.  I am helping to solve problems, and it is so much fun!  The trick is how to do this at home while I am with my two littles (2 and 4 years old!).

How are you all handling teaching with your littles?  Give me your tips and tricks.  

I am also sending my students ALL THE LOVE!  I miss them.  I miss the smiles, the laughter, the tears.  I miss the go, go, go of being in a middle school all day, every day.  When will we return to normal?  My father-in-law said something profound the other day.  He said that this is not a "new normal." That is how I am getting through each day.  We do not need to live with this reality forever.  This will never be normal.  I WILL get back to my students and my school, someday!

I have our first module ready- I am currently teaching 8th grade ELA- and we are going to focus on self-care for week-one.  This idea stemmed from the fact that the students are also dealing with this crazy reality in this moment. They need an outlet to talk about what they are experiencing.  They need a safe place to say, "Here's what I've been doing for the past three weeks, and these are the things that are working and not working about it."  Self-reflection will help all of us...especially me!  We are having them make their own memes and then brainstorm some positive "self-care" practices through collaborative discussion boards.  I have high hopes for week-one.  I know that the students are craving time together, and so am I.

Teachers, I implore you to remember this time needs to be about relationships and engagement.  Let's bring our students in as a family and give them an opportunity to re-connect in a safe space.  Show them the LOVE.

Just for fun...here's the meme I created as an example for the assignment:


On another note, my professional life may change soon.  I am interviewing to be an administrator! I will likely be an assistant principal at the middle school level.  I am owning and believing that it will occur next year.  I know that working from home and supporting teachers in these new ways will only make me a stronger administrator, when that day comes.

And until that day comes, I will continue to live in this WEIRD REALITY by supporting my teachers and loving on my students.

2 comments:

Comments make me SMILE!