Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Virtual Learning Take One

Today we started virtual learning with our students.  We posted assignments; they went onto Canvas and completed assignments.  Our model has students receiving assignments at the beginning of the week and submitting them by 10 a.m. on Fridays.  Today, within 12 hours, there were over sixty posts on multiple discussion boards.  Next week is when we start Google Meet sessions.  I will meet with each of my classes one time per week.  I can't wait to see their faces, but for now, this will have to suffice. 

Our county decided to put a hold on grading for the moment.  We will close out the third quarter and give the students opportunities to improve upon their grades from previously submitted work, but this new stuff is currently not being graded. 

The students are learning for the sake of learning.  

My job right now is to create the assignments and provide feedback to enhance the learning, but not to provide grades.  This sounds okay in theory, but I ran into a problem today.  I did some math that I failed to do earlier.  I have over 100 students.  I created two discussion boards and two assignments, and that's over 400 assignment submissions.  And my students are obviously eager for this situation, based on all the "hits" I had today to the website.  I am happy that they are ready to learn and participate, but I need to make this more manageable pronto.


So, here's the new plan.  Next week I will provide four activities, but I will only collect and review two of them.  I don't need to check on their guided notes.  I will give them the structure, but they can be responsible for completing notes on their own.  The reality is that virtual school is NOT going to look the same as a brick and mortar school.  In the school building, I would be walking around the room monitoring the students during guided notes.  That is not feasible for a virtual setting. 

Teachers, set yourselves up for success!

Right now we are in the trial and error period.  We are all figuring out what is going to work.  How will we manage the stacks of paperwork that are piling up in our inboxes?  When we see something that isn't working, how are we going to attempt to fix it?  Don't get discouraged by this unfamiliar situation.  Channel High School Musical: "We're all in this together."  Give yourself grace and learn from your mistakes.  Figure out what works and what does not.  Implement change.  And of course, don't forget to maintain your connections and relationships with your students, because that really should be the focus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me SMILE!