Saturday, May 4, 2013

I have been spending a lot of time blog hopping.  I have found so many useful resources from fellow teacher bloggers.  I am excited to use some of their insightful ideas in my classroom and on my blog.  One of the blogging practices that I enjoy is when people write about what they are reading.   One resource that bloggers often use is a widget connected to goodreads.com, and I plan on looking into that in more detail.  However, for the time being I will write about my current books in a traditional blog post.

1.  The Sword in the Stone by T.H. White.  One of the most important books that I am reading right now, as I am teaching it.  My seventh graders are currently reading this medieval inspired selection.  They are having trouble getting through it, but some are really enjoying the challenge.  I have found that they understand it a lot better when listening to the audiobook.  Unfortunately, it is not available online in audio and I don't want to spend extensive class time listening to a book.  I also started the book a little late in the year, and we are going to need about a chapter a day in order to finish it with a week remaining until finals.

Any thoughts on how to provide audiobooks for student listening at home?  I was thinking for short stories I could personally record them, but that wouldn't work for full length novels.

2.  To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  What an amazing books, and I think the 8th graders are finally getting into it.  In the heart of the trial, students are reading Tom Robinson's testimony (ch 19) as I type...if they're doing their homework ; )   While it took a long time for students to get into this book, I think they are finally hooked.  At least I hope so!  Audiobook bonus- someone uploaded the entire book to youtube.com  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7iZzmiBAEI

3.  A personal choice- Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth.  Recommended by a group of my avid readers, I am totally into this dystopian trilogy.  The third book won't be out until October, I think.  On another note, I do think that there is too much "love" in this teenage book.  I don't mind it as an adult, but I don't really like it for my school kiddos.   Check out the author's website: http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com/ 

4.  A book club choice-Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michale Dorris.  I haven't started this one yet.  It has to be read for book club by May 24th, so I better get cracking.  It looks really good, and bonus, it is on overdrive as an audiobook.  I have a commute of an hour and a half a day so audiobooks are my savior.

Thanks for reading.  Comment your thoughts below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me SMILE!