Sunday, May 3, 2020

Distance Learning- A Quick and Dirty Review

Distance Learning has been underway for a couple of weeks.  I have seen each of my classes twice on Google Meet.  Here are my thoughts.

1.  The students still crave being with their friends.  They are eager to have side chats and bring back a sense of normalcy in any way they can.  This mimics hallway and lunch room conversation.  Our school is going to plan lunch bunches to create space for students to have regular social interactions with their peers.

2. The students generally are not interested in showing their faces or letting us hear their voices.  About 10% of the students present in the class that show faces and share voices.  This may become more natural as we get more into the virtual classroom.  Based on the article I read about Videoclassism by Taharee Jackson, I am being very aware of requests that I make of my students.  I personally want to see their faces, but I want them to feel safe above all. 

3. Students are willing to ask about their work!  Yay!  The work that I have been giving to students is supposed to take 1.5 to 2 hours.  I usually have three or four activities.  Last week, students asked about the assignment related to the essential questions. They needed clarification and we were able to work through the material together.  I am so glad that they feel safe in this space. 

I think that overall, given the circumstances, this is all going pretty well.  I do want to see my students.  I miss them so much.  Currently, Maryland has only cancelled school until May 15th, but with 42/50 states being closed to the end of the year, it is likely that it's coming. 

The next thing that we need to figure out is how we will honor our 8th graders.  We are planning a slide show and maybe we'll show it during a virtual ceremony. 

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me SMILE!